The entity search (or table search) functionality in Dynamics 365 allows your users to search for terms that return records that match the criteria. It comes with several fields (columns) out-of-the-box, BUT you can also add others! In this article, we will learn how to update your entity/table search and add new fields to it.
Welcome to the 4th article in our series: 10 Tools to Help You Be a Super System Admin in Dynamics 365 CE. Check out the full list at the bottom of this blog.
How to Edit Entity Search as a System Admin
The entity/table search is controlled by the Quick Find view for each table (entity). To make changes to it, you will need to add the Quick Find view to your solution file.
Where to Make the Change in the Maker Portal (Dynamics 365 Online)
1. Add the Quick Find view to your solution for the desired table.
2. Open the view and find the Find by… section in the bottom of the panel on the left-hand side (highlighted below)
3. Click Edit find by columns… at the bottom of the Find by… section. Add any additional terms.
Where to Make the Change in the Classic Solution Designer (On-Premises Customers)
1. In a solution file, add the Quick Find View to the desired entity. Below is a screen shot of the Leads Quick Find View in a solution file.
2. Open the Quick Find view, then click Add Find Columns in the Common Tasks box.
3. Check the box next to any field you want added to the search, then click OK. Alternatively, uncheck any box you no longer want included in the search.
4. Save and Close when you return to the View, then publish your changes and test in Sandbox!
The 10 Tools
Here are the tools we will review in the entire series: