When you’ve added custom entities to your Dynamics 365 environment, you may want some to appear for your users when they use Global Search. Alternatively, perhaps you want to remove some entities that came out-of-the-box that your company isn’t using. Follow these simple steps to add or remove entities (or Tables, using modern terminology) to Global Search.
This is a system settings update, so you will make the change in your model-driven app (not in Power Apps). If you want this change made in multiple environments (Dev, Sandbox, Production), you will need to repeat these steps in each. You will need System Administrator or System Customizer security roles to make these updates to your system.
- Navigate to Advanced Settings from your model-driven app
At the top right-hand corner, click the gear icon, then select Advanced Settings
- Select Settings > Administration
Click the carrot next to Settings to expand the full settings menu. From here, choose Administration.
- Open System Settings
- Find the “Set up Search” area under the General tab of System Settings. Click the Select… button next to “Select entities for Categorized Search.”
About halfway down the General tab settings, you will see the “Set up Search” section.
- Now, select the entities that should be searched when users are utilizing the Global Search feature. Remove any that should be removed. Click OK when you are finished.
Select any Available Entity from the left-hand column. Click the “Add >” button to move it to “Selected Entities.” Likewise, if you want to remove any, select any from the right-hand column, click the “< Remove” button and they will no longer be included in Global Search.
Tips When Updating Global Search
- You can include up to 10 entities (tables) in Global Search.
- The order in the “Selected Entities” section will be the order in which a user’s results are displayed.
- Don’t forget to update your system settings in all environments!